pastels

when do we become the pastel version of the people we were when we were younger?!

I remember one time we visited my brother in his student place, and he put a cd on with music he'd learnt about recently. Quite startled we heard Firestarter from Prodigy make it´s way out of the speakers... What?! My brother into Alternative Music?!! Whatever next... A bit of leap from Iron Maiden and Guns & Roses in his teenage (my brother was in his early twenties when the Prodigy thing happened), but fairly understandable... Great was my bemusement when a few years later, he'd moved in with his girlfriend and there was no Prodigy cd  in the house, and gone too were the books that he'd been so chuffed with - every Dickens novel written - and practically every other item that may have been characteristic of him, or as i'd gotten to know him over the years, as a young adult. The music coming out of his stereo was bland middle of the road stuff and the books on the shelf were my sister in laws, or at least condoned by her... In fact the whole house was done to her taste, and Beige best described it...

Had my student-brother been a version of himself and was the middle of the road version the Real Him?
Do i have a similar story to tell - i remember listening to Nirvava and Pearl Jam and PJ Harvey when i was in my early twenties, feeling fairly displaced at the time and not knowing where to go, and a few years later settling down into a life that became predictable and a bit dull, with babies and early nights, my travelling bug quelled...

I've become a pastel version of myself....
Was that the real me?
Is who i am now the real me?

Who knows....


No comments: